Purpose and Core Values
Ohio Wesleyan University identifies three major objectives: (1) to impart knowledge as transmitted through the humanities, arts, and sciences; (2) to develop and enhance certain important capabilities of students, including the development of creative talents in several fields, and by the preparation of students for careers through professional and pre-professional programs; and (3) to place education in the context of values maintaining the college’s outstanding traditions in these areas”.
The Music Department has developed its objectives to reflect the broader institutional purposes but with reference to music as the identified discipline. (1) to impart knowledge as transmitted through the study and performance of music, (2) to develop and enhance the creative and academic musical talents of students, and (3) to place the study of music in a context of social, cultural and educational values.
The purpose of the department is articulated as: “We are here to develop the talents, minds, and character of our students through the discipline and art of music.
The department also identifies a set or core values: “Musical expression is a basic part of being human. We encourage and assist our students to develop their musical intelligence to their greatest potential, thereby fulfilling the wholeness of their humanity and their ability to improve the lives of others. That our students enjoy and participate in music for a lifetime; that they are committed to adding beauty to their world and changing lives for the better. We pursue creative and scholarly work to satisfy our professional curiosity and passion. We mentor by example.”
The Music Department has been a vital facet of the Ohio Wesleyan community for over 150 years. As one of the most respected music programs of the liberal arts colleges in Ohio, the Department of Music is characterized by talented and experienced faculty, outstanding facilities, personal attention, and numerous performing opportunities for both music majors and other interested students.
Music majors are offered the unique and challenging environment of the professional music degree program within the context of the university’s renowned liberal arts curriculum while the entire Ohio Wesleyan community enjoys a variety of musical performance and learning opportunities.
The Department of Music announces the opening of the newly renovated McMullen Electro-Acoustic Music Studio (MEAMS)
With the opening of the newly renovated McMullen Electro Acoustic Music Studio (MEAMS), students now have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of electo-acoustic music composition. The studio, located in Sanborn Hall, is overseen by the Assistant Professor of Composition, Music Theory and Electronic Music. The MEAMS has the latest in digital audio editing technology. In the studio, students can create new electro-acoustic music compositions, master compact discs (CDs) or add music to film. The MEAMS is a Mac-based environment that boasts an incredible 2.5 terabytes of hard drive space. Students learn the basics of acoustics, musical instrument digital interface (MIDI) technology, and digital audio through MUS229 Introduction to Electronic Music Composition. They also work hands on with the equipment in their own three-hour block of studio time each week. This course culminates in final projects that are original compositions. Students may continue work in the studio through an independent study.
Dr. Thomas Carto founded the MEAMS in 1989 through a generous bequest of Marie McMullen. The times have changed, but the mission remains the same: to broaden the resources of music technology at OWU so that students and faculty members may explore, learn and create.
In the News
Read all about the music events at Ohio Wesleyan on Connect2 OWU and other news sources:
- Coda: Opera Briefly
- Chicago Sun-Times: Baroque Band concerts a contemporary affair at the MCA
- OWU News Release: Ohio Wesleyan Professor Reimagines Bach for 21st Century
- Connect2 OWU: Building Bridges with Music
- OWU News Release: Gulimina Mahamuti to Perform Benjamin Britten Piano Concerto, op.13
- OWU News Release: Ohio Wesleyan Faculty Member to Perform in Hungary, Turkey, China
- OWU News Release: Ohio Wesleyan Faculty Member Gulimina Mahamuti to Perform at Carnegie Hall
- OWU News Release: OWU Faculty Honored for ‘Excellence in Education’
- OWU News Release: High School Musicians Invited to Audition for Ohio Wesleyan Band Festival
- Connect2 OWU: OWU in the News - Richard Edwards
- OWU News Release: OWU’s Opera Theatre Featured in The Columbus Dispatch
- OWU News Release: Ohio Wesleyan Student Wins International Music Composition Award
- OWU News Release: Ohio Wesleyan Presents SongFest Musicians in Oct. 2 Recital
- Connect2 OWU: Music to Everyone’s Ears
- Connect2 OWU: OWU Professor, Student Present, Conduct Research in Scotland
- Connect2 OWU: Two OWU Graduates Cross Paths on National Opera Stage